About a dozen people are displaced after an early morning fire caused extensive damage to a Takoma Park house.
Shortly before 6 a.m. Friday Montgomery County and Prince George’s County firefighters responded to a house fire in the 6500 block of Kansas Lane just off Eastern Avenue.
“When firefighters arrived on the scene they had smoke and fire showing from the first floor, with fire extending to the top floor and attic area of the two-story house,” Montgomery County Fire Department spokesperson Pete Piringer said. “It took firefighters about an hour to completely extinguish the blaze that sent one firefighter to the Washington Hospital Burn Center with a burn to his neck. He was treated and released late Friday morning.”
Piringer said the house was vacant at the time of the fire, but about a dozen people usually occupy it.
According to Piringer, county fire investigators were called to the scene to search for the cause of the fire. The investigation is ongoing.
- Takoma Park nonprofit promotes healthy eating and organic enterprise
- Pending hospital closure causes concern for residents of Takoma Park
- Takoma Park considers amending charter on appointments and hiring
- Local band Aerial View launches East Coast tour in Takoma Park
- Takoma Park selects new police chief