Menu

House fire sends local man to hospital

laytonsville fireLAYTONSVILLE - Montgomery County firefighters from Laytonsville, Damascus and other nearby companies battled a massive house fire Thursday that sent a quadriplegic veteran and his wife to the hospital.

Around 9:30 p.m. county firefighters responded to the 8000 block of Warfield Road in Laytonsville for a house fire.

“When firefighters arrived on the scene they encountered very heavy fire conditions coming from the one-story house,” County fire department spokesperson Pete Piringer said.

Prior to firefighters arriving on the scene, wheelchair-bound veteran Captain Flip Klein had to be helped out of the house by his wife Jess and a neighbor. Piringer said both were transported to a local hospital for minor smoke inhalations.

Klein’s neighbors called him a hero.

“The wife and husband were inside the house when the fire started,” Piringer said. “They heard a smoke detector alarm go off and made it to their front door, where a neighbor helped the wife in carrying her husband.”

Officials said it was a very fast moving fire. According to officials, it took four only minutes for the first fire truck to arrive on the scene, but by then the house was engulfed in flames.

 The house was specially built for the quadriplegic veteran with ramps and other special features.

 Their home was heavily damaged in the blaze. On Friday officials pegged the loss at about $400,000.

Officials said they believe an electrical wiring problem caused the fire.

 

Last modified onThursday, 21 August 2014 20:11
Login to post comments
back to top